Brother Marcus Samuel
P.O. Box 18
Porcupine, SD 57772
Brother Marcus Samuel ministers to the members of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. The Pine Ridge Reservation is the home of ore than 28,000 Oglala Sioux. Located in Shannon County, South Dakota, the poorest county in the United States, the needs f the people of Pine Ridge are immense.
- 80% of its residents are unemployed
- Per capita income is $6,286.00
- Life expectancy in 2007 was estimated to be 48 for males and 52 for females
- The infant mortality rate is 300% higher than the national average
- Alcoholism rate is estimated to be as high as 80%
- 1 in 4 infants are born with fetal alcohol syndrome
- The death rate from alcohol related problems is 300% higher than the remaining U.S. population
- Teen suicide rate is 150% higher than the national rate
- 60.5% of households have no father figure in the home
- 39.7% of homes have NO electricity and many homes are without running water and sewer
The poverty rate on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation – home to nearly 30,000 Americans, can only be described as third-world in nature.